Summers coming. With the warmer weather and stronger rays from the sun we need to take care of our skin to prevent sunburn. Many sunscreens contain harmful ingredients that are not only bad for our skin, but harmful to the environment.
It is important to know what Oxybenzone is and what it does to us. First off it is a known carcinogen. Oxybenzone is an organic compound used in sunscreens. It is a derivative of benzophenone. It forms colorless crystals that are readily soluble in most organic solvents. It is used as an ingredient in sunscreen and other cosmetics because it absorbs UV-A ultraviolet rays. However, extremely effective ingredient in sunscreen as it can greatly reduce UV (ultra-violet) exposure.
Reactions could include, contact dermatitis, inflammation of a hair follicle, acne, skin rash, and skin irritation. While these are rare, they can occur if you are allergic and sensitive to sunscreen formulas that have Oxybenzone. Other names for Oxybenzone are Oxybenzone Benzophenone-3 2-Hydroxy-4-methoxybenzophenone. Make sure to check the label for these ingredients if you want to protect your health.
It is not very friendly to our bodies. It is known to be a hazardous eye irritant and can cause skin allergies. It is hormone disruptor to coral, as well as hormone disruption in humans. It affects estrogen production particularly in women and testosterone production in men.
- Oxybenzone-Free Sunscreens do exist, here are some of the best rated below according to Good Housekeeping Magazine.
- Botanical Sunscreen, AUSTRALIAN GOLD
- Sunforgettable Total Protection Body Shield COLORESCIENCE
- BEST NON-IRRITATING NATURAL SUNSCREEN Mineral Crème Sunscreen MDSOLARSCIENCES
- Pure & Simple Sunscreen Lotion COPPERTONE
- Mineral Broad Spectrum Sunscreen Face Gel Lotion BARE REPUBLIC (great for oily skin)
- SheerZinc Face Sunscreen NEUTROGENA (can wear under foundation- great for fair skin)
- Essential Defense Mineral Shield SKINMEDICA dermstore.com
Please note, some mineral sunscreens do leave a heavy white cast, so you need to rub them in really good. Experiment with some and see what works for you.