Bronx fire victims receive donations as GoFundPage and collection centers are set up

On January 9, there was a fire tragedy in the Fordham Heights, in Bronx, New York City. Many homes of the Gambian community were destroyed by the 5-alarm fire. The Gambian Youth Organization (GYO) a nonprofit has set up a GoFundMe page for the victims. It has raised over $180,000. The city has also set up a website for monetary donations. Donations can also be made to The Mayor’s Fund to Advance New York City.

Although cash donations are welcome, other items can also be donated at several locations. They include items such as

bottled water
clothing
coats
pillows
blankets
hats
scarves
winter shoes
towels
personal hygiene items
masks
hand sanitizers.

Some of the drop off locations include

The Gambian Youth Organization at 214 E.181 Street Bronx
The Bronx Woodlawn Collective at 341 East 235 Street
SAR Academy at 655 W. 254 Street
Community Board 10 at 3165 E Tremont Avenue
Anthony Avenue Community Garden at 2078 Anthony Ave
Riverdale Jewish Center at 3700 Independence Ave.
Pelham Picture House at 175 Wolfs Lane, Westchester.

The American Red Cross has set up a service center at Monroe College. New York Governor Kathy Hochul said that she would establish a fund to compensate victims. These funds will be used to cover funeral costs, for housing and for other required expenses.

The fire had destroyed the apartments of many of the GYO members who lived in 333 East 183rd Street. As of now, 19 people have lost their lives, 9 of whom are children, and at least 32 are injured, many of whom are facing life-threatening injuries. Several people have lost their homes and possessions.

Sunday’s fire was said to be the deadliest one in three decades in New York City. It started just after 11 a.m. and about 200 members of the Fire Department of New York (FDNY) bravely fought for roughly an hour to contain the blaze.

Officials said that a radiator malfunction in a duplex condo on the second and third floor caused the fire. The door of the condo had been left open, resulting in the spread of lethal smoke throughout the building.

Donate here GoFundMe

Image


Follow us on Google news for more updates and News










Full Disclaimer








>

FREE

Get the most important breaking news and analyses for Free.

Thank you for subscribing.

Something went wrong.