Greg Norman, the chief executive of the Saudi Arabia backed LIV Golf circuit has confirmed that celebrity golfer Tiger Woods refused a huge amount reportedly between $700 million to $800 million as he didn’t wish to play in the tournament. The CEO said this in a recent interview, on Monday. He confirmed that the number was in the neighborhood of the above mentioned figure.
Greg Norman, who was also a great golfer in his era, defended the LIV Golf Invitational that recently took place at Trump National in Bedminster, New Jersey. The NJ Club is owned by the former president Donald Trump. Trump attended the tournament. Woods has been critical of the players who joined LIV and has commented on them saying that they had turned their backs on what had allowed them to reach the position they were in and made them famous.
Tiger Woods is one of the most famous living golfers in the world. Some also call him the best golfer ever. The celebrity golfer went pro in 1996. He has a record of winning 15 majors. Although he faced a lean patch for a decade, he won the 2019 Masters. This comeback was exceptional as many had written the 46-year old golfer off as he faced a huge number of problems that were due to injury as well as personal setbacks. Last year, he was involved in a terrible crash that was termed as life threatening at that time. However, the pro golfer has been trying to make a comeback.
Critics have said that Saudi Arabia’s government is using the LIV Golf tournament to distract attention from issues that plague the kingdom such as its human rights’ records as well as its reported links to the 9/11 plotters. Getting Tiger Woods on board would have been a coup for the tournament. The PGA has banned players who have signed with LIV from its tournaments.