I use to enjoy this as a kid growing now I can finally appreciate the hard work that is put into making this fine delicacy.
1. Rinse duck and remove innards. Cut skin
around neck and remove tail.
2. Hang duck neck-side-up over a large pot. Boil
3. Pour boiling
water over the duck until skin
is puffed up. Remove boiled
water from pot.
4. Combine salt,
white pepper, five spice powder and 2 tsp of hoison sauce.
5. Brush mixture on the outside and inside of the duck to marinate
6. Let mixture dry
– about 2 hours.
7. Combine corn syrup, honey, rice vinegar and brush outside of the duck. Let duck air dry
for 12-24 hours.
9. Let meat rest for 15 minutes after cooking. Cut
the meat into thin slices
and enjoy. Serve
with Bao, Chinese pan cakes add hosin sauce and scallions.