This cake is a fun a delicious way to celebrate a birthday for a princess!
2 quarts fresh strawberries – cleaned and halved
1 pint heavy cream or whipping cream
For the Shortcake:
To make a bigger stack of shortcakes double this recipe. (I did)
2 cups all-purpose flour – sifted
1 tablespoon baking powder
4 tablespoons butter
¾ cups light cream or buttermilk
4 – 5 tablespoons sugar
1. Preheat Oven 350 degrees:
2. Sift flour, baking powder and sugar into a bowl. Cut in the butter. Work the batter with your fingers. Add the cream or buttermilk and stir gently and quickly until dough is formed.
3. Flour a surface and knead the dough gently until no creases are left.
4. Roll out the dough to about ½ inch thickness. Place on parchment paper or a buttered cookie sheet.
5. Bake about 20-25 minutes – until slightly golden.
6. Let cool, then cut the biscuits in half through the center; making a top and bottom half.
7. Whip the cream with a tablespoon of powdered sugar.
8. Sandwich the strawberries and whip cream between the layers of biscuit to build your cake.