A Healthier Cookie with Mini M&Ms
Follow us on Google news for more updates and Recipe News
I’ve been itching to bake lately but haven’t because I don’t want it in the house to tempt me. Well, I gave in today because this heat wave is killer and I wanted to sit in the ac! Sitting in the house means keeping the boys as busy as possible so we painted seashells, played legos and made cookies!
I cut down the amount of butter and sugar, swapped out white flour for stone ground whole wheat flour, threw in some oats and used unsweetened applesauce to moisten them up. Of course because they were for the kiddos they convinced me to throw in some mini m&ms we had. Certainly, to make these healthier take out the m&ms and use chopped raisins or dried figs. These are a great substitute for a traditional cookie because you don’t have to feel so bad about having one or letting the kids have an extra.
1/2 stick of unsalted butter, room temp
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 1/2 cups stone ground whole wheat flour
1/2 cup steel cut oats
1 Tbsp baking powder
a pinch of salt
1. In a large bowl, using a hand mixer, cream together the butter and brown sugar until well combined.
2. Add in the egg and vanilla and again mix to combine.
3. Mix in the applesauce and combine. It will look a little broken but thats ok!
4. In a small bowl combine the flour, oats, baking powder and salt.
5. Slowly combine the dry mix into the wet until it just comes together, do not over mix!
6. Using a spoon fold in the m&ms or dried fruit 😉
7. Using a small cookie scoop place the cookies onto a lined baking sheet. Bake for approx 12-14 minutes at 375 degrees, until lightly golden. These cookies will not change shape much because there is so little fat in there. So scoop out and press down lightly if you want them to flatten a bit.
8. Now grab a glass of milk and DUNK!
PLEASE READ THE IMPORTANT DISCLOSURES BELOW.
This content is being provided to you for informational purposes only. The content has been prepared by third parties not affiliated with CWEB Inc, a business. This content and any information contained therein, does not constitute a recommendation by CWEB to buy, sell or hold any security, financial product or instrument referenced in the content. This information neither is, nor should be construed as an offer, or a solicitation of an offer, to buy or sell securities by CWEB Inc. CWEB Inc. does not offer or provide any opinion regarding the nature, potential, value, suitability or profitability of any particular investment or investment strategy, and you shall be fully responsible for any investment decisions you make, and such decisions will be based solely on your evaluation of your financial circumstances, investment objectives, risk tolerance, and liquidity needs.
Unless stated otherwise, the web content provided by the CWEB family of companies is for educational purposes only. The information and tools provided neither are, nor should be construed, as an offer, or a solicitation of an offer, to buy or sell securities by CWEB Inc. or its affiliates. Unless stated otherwise, no information presented constitutes a recommendation by CWEB Inc. or its affiliates to buy, sell or hold any security, financial product or instrument discussed therein or to engage in any specific investment strategy.