Nothing quite compares to the rustic smell of apples cooking with butter. Add a sprinkle of sugar here, a drizzle of berry sauce there, and what you have in the end is pure magic!! Enjoy!!
For Mixed Fruit Bake you will need:
2 pears – peeled, cored and sliced
5 apples – peeled, cored and sliced
Zest of 1 lemon
Juice of ½ lemon
¼ cup white sugar
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
For Berry Sauce you will need:
1 cup of your favorite preserve (I used ½ cup cherry and ½ cup mixed berry)
For Brown Sugar Topping you will need:
½ cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup plus 1 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon white sugar
A sprinkle of cinnamon
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1. In a large bowl, combine apples, pears, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Toss together. Then cook down in a large saucepan with butter and sugar over medium heat until the apples are soft and just slightly golden, about 8-10 minutes.
2. In a small sauce pan, heat a cup of your favorite preserve until its consistency changes to a light sauce.
3. For the brown sugar topping, combine flour, dark brown sugar, white sugar, and cinnamon with the melted butter mix until a soft crumble forms.
4. Preheat oven to 345 degrees F.
5. In a buttered pie dish, spread out the apple and pear mixture. Drizzle the berry sauce over the apples and then top it off with the brown sugar crumble. Bake for about 15 minutes.