Alaska pollack fish cakes
Delicious fish cakes ideal for lunch or supper. Make it the day before up to step 6, then proceed the next day. Saves time!
400g Alaska pollack or other white fish fillets (fresh or thawed)
½ -1 cup water
1 tbs lemon juice
A splash of white wine
½ tsp olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, pressed
Mash (puree) from 4 small or 2 large potatoes
1 egg yolk
1 small red pepper, finely chopped or 1-2 tbs crushed dry pepperoncini
2 tbs parsley, chopped
1 ½ tsp sea salt
1-2 tsp pepper
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
50-80g butter for cooking
1. Place fish fillets in an ovenproof dish, pour a mixture of water, lemon juice and wine, sprinkle with parsley leaves. Cover with foil suitable for microwave and process 5 minutes on MAX. Drain well and leave to cool. OR
2. Steam fish fillets water, lemon juice, wine and parsley about 7 minutes or until it flakes.
3. Sauté onion and garlic for 2 minutes in olive oil over low heat until translucent (make sure the garlic does not burn). Remove with slotted spoon and place on a paper towel.
4. Mix mashed potatoes, onion, garlic, egg, egg yolk, pepperoncini, parsley, salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce.
5. Gently flake and fold the fish into potato mixture. If mixture is too wet, add homemade bread crumbs until cakes hold together.
6. Roll out the mixture on floured surface to desired thickness (1-2cm) and cut out 10-12 cakes.
7. Fry cakes in hot butter over medium heat, about 4 minutes on each side until golden brown.
8. Remove with slotted spoon and place on a paper towel.
9. Serve immediately with a mix of homemade or bought mayonnaise, ketchup and chopped garlic (or other herbs – chives, parsley).
Follow us on Google news for more updates and Recipe News