Arroz De Galinha (Reinvented)
This is based on a traditional Portuguese recipe for chicken and rice.
2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
6 cloves of garlic
1 tablespoon vinegar
2 cups uncooked short grained rice (sushi style 2 cups water, plus more for rinsing and soaking
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 onion, sliced thinly
1 red bell pepper, sliced thinly
pinch pepper flakes
pinch salt& pepper
1 small lemon (or lime)
1 choriço (chorizo) sausage
1/4 cup white wine or chicken stock or water
1 cup tomato sauce
handful of cilantro
1. Slice the chicken breasts into strips and place in a bowl. Wash hands and cutting surface thoroughly.
2. Crush and mince the garlic cloves in another bowl. Add in a pinch or so of each herb/spice and the vinegar and mix well with a fork. Put the marinade in the bowl with the chicken and stir to coat the chicken.
3. Wrap with plastic wrap and place in the fridge until ready to use.
4. In a large skillet over medium high heat, add in the olive oil. Next, add onion and red bell pepper, sauteing until the onion is translucent, about a minute or so.
5. Add in the chicken and cook until browned on the outside. Reduce heat to medium.
6. Toss in the pepper flakes, salt & pepper, zest of the lemon, half the cilantro and stir. Remove the chicken/onion/pepper mixture from the pan and place in a bowl, cover with foil and set aside.
7. Slice the choriço at an angle and place in the hot skillet and allow to cook until it gets crispy bits around the edges. Remove from pan and add to the chicken bowl.
8. Pour the wine into the pan to de-glaze it, lightly scraping the yummy bits off the bottom of the pan as it cooks. Add in the tomato sauce and bring to a simmer and allow to cook 5 minutes or so.
9. Toss the chicken/choriço/veggie mix back into the pan along with the juice of the lemon. Stir well and again allow to simmer for about 5 minutes or until you’re certain the chicken is cooked through. Remove from heat.
10. Spoon the chicken mixture into the rice bowls and top with cilantro.
Follow us on Google news for more updates and Recipe News