An easy yet impressive dish – a showstopper of any dinner party!
2 eggs, separated
25 gm butter
30 gm plain flour
115 ml warm milk
15 gm parmesan, grated
50 gm ricotta
50 gm semi-hard cheese, grated
50 gm cream cheese, softened
7 asparagus spears, blanched
a few basil leaves
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 200 C.
2. Heat butter in a pan till its melted, add flour and cook for a few minutes, stirring. Remove from heat, gradually stir in the milk. Add egg yolks, one at a time.
3. Beat the egg whites till picks are formed; gently fold them into the yolk mixture together with the shredded basil.
4. Spread the prepared batter on a greased baking paper in a thin layer (you will get a rectangular approximately 20×12 cm in size), sprinkle with parmesan and bake for 15 min. Remove from the oven, carefully invert on a kitchen paper (parmesan crusted side down), roll loosely and allow to cool completely.
5.For the filling, combine all the cheeses, season with salt and pepper.
6. Unroll the base of the roulade, discard the kitchen paper, spread the cheese filling and put asparagus spears in regular intervals. Roll again, then roll the roulade in a cling film tightly and put in the fridge for a few hours before cutting it.