This is a delicious, heart healthy and wholesome dish. It is a meal on a plate.
1 1/2 lbs fresh asparagus
6 tbsp butter (or Earth Balance – soy butter)
3 tbsp good quality Olive Oil
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 1/2 cups sliced, fresh mushrooms
1/2 cup prosciutto, chopped small (optional)
1 tbsp Olio do Panne
4 large fresh plum tomatoes, diced (reserve juices)
3/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
8 oz rice noodle Fettucini
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese (Parmigiano Reggiano preferred)
1. Soak dried rice noodles in room temperature water for at least 1 hour in enough water to completely immerse the noodles, drain the water before using.
2. Rinse asparagus, break off tough ends and discard.
3. Cut asparagus into 3/4 inch lengths and place in a bowl filled with cold water and set aside.
4. In a large frying pan, heat butter and oil over medium-high heat.
5. Add garlic and saute’ for about 3 minutes.
6. Drain asparagus and add to frying pan, cover and cook for 2 minutes, stirring at least once.
7. Add mushrooms, proscuitto, and Olio do Panne, mix well and cook covered until asparagus is tender crisp, about 5 minutes (DO NOT OVERCOOK), stir frequently.
8. Add rice noodles which are soft, firm but flexible, chopped diced tomatoes and juices, salt and pepper and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
9. If mixture appears too dry, add more butter.
10.Sprinkle with freshly grated parmesan cheese and lightly toss to coat.