Beany Beef and Barley Broth
Follow us on Google news for more updates and Recipe News
This rich, earthy ground beef soup is filled with beans… 5 kinds of them to be exact… and gets bulked up with wholesome barley and decadent sweet potato. It’s a meal that will keep you cozy all day long!
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 3.8 g
Cholesterol: 10.6 mg
Sodium: 640.3 mg
Total Carbs: 40.6 g
Dietary Fiber: 11.8 g
Protein: 13.7 g
1/4 cup water
1/2 pound lean ground beef
2 large onions, diced
6 carrots, halved lengthwise and sliced
2 baby beets, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup red wine
5 cups beef or rich chicken broth
2 cups water
29 oz canned tomatoes with juice
5 fl. oz low-sodium V 8 cocktail
1 2/3 cups roasted tomato sauce (or chunky tomato sauce)
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
5 ounces adzuki beans, soaked overnight
6 ounces kidney beans, soaked overnight
10 ounces cucumber, grated
2 bay leaves
3 sprigs fresh thyme
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
35 fresh Romano beans (Italian flat beans), shelled (you ca
7 1/2 ounces sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 cup pot barley
19 oz can small red Mexican beans, drained and rinsed
1 pound fresh or frozen green beans, chopped
1. Heat water in a large stockpot over medium-high.
2. Add ground beef and cook until browned, stirring to crumble.
3. Add onions, carrots and beets and cook, stirring, until the onions begin to turn golden – about 8-9 minutes.
4. Add garlic and cook 1 minute longer, until fragrant.
5. Stir in wine and cook over high heat, stirring well, to dislodge the fond from the pot and reduce slightly.
6. Add broth, water, tomatoes, V8, tomato sauce, Worcestershire, soaked beans and grated cucumber.
7. Stir in bay leaves, thyme, oregano, basil, paprika and pepper, then bring to a boil.
8. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 3 hours.
9. Stir in the freshly shelled Romano beans, sweet potato and barley and cook 1 hour further, until beans are tender. Remove bay leaves and thyme stems.
10. Add canned and frozen beans, uncover and cook at a brisk simmer for 30 minutes.
PLEASE READ THE IMPORTANT DISCLOSURES BELOW.
This content is being provided to you for informational purposes only. The content has been prepared by third parties not affiliated with CWEB Inc, a business. This content and any information contained therein, does not constitute a recommendation by CWEB to buy, sell or hold any security, financial product or instrument referenced in the content. This information neither is, nor should be construed as an offer, or a solicitation of an offer, to buy or sell securities by CWEB Inc. CWEB Inc. does not offer or provide any opinion regarding the nature, potential, value, suitability or profitability of any particular investment or investment strategy, and you shall be fully responsible for any investment decisions you make, and such decisions will be based solely on your evaluation of your financial circumstances, investment objectives, risk tolerance, and liquidity needs.
Unless stated otherwise, the web content provided by the CWEB family of companies is for educational purposes only. The information and tools provided neither are, nor should be construed, as an offer, or a solicitation of an offer, to buy or sell securities by CWEB Inc. or its affiliates. Unless stated otherwise, no information presented constitutes a recommendation by CWEB Inc. or its affiliates to buy, sell or hold any security, financial product or instrument discussed therein or to engage in any specific investment strategy.