If you’re looking for exciting vegan recipes or vegetarian recipes, look no further. Everyone will enjoy this vegetarian lettuce wraps recipe – including meat-eaters.
This is the perfect lettuce wrap recipe for Meatless Monday, or any day of the week. This easy recipe is also great for meal prepping.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 package (12 ounces) extra-firm tofu, pressed between paper towels to remove excess liquid and crumbled
- 1 package (8 ounces) fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1 can water chestnuts (8 ounces), drained and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 2 green onions, chopped
- large romaine, green leaf or butter lettuce leaves
- red pepper flakes (optional)
Here’s how to make it:
- Combine the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar and sesame oil in a bowl. Set aside.
- Heat the canola oil in a large skillet or wok. Add the crumbled tofu and cook over medium-high heat for about 5-6 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until mushrooms are soft and almost all the liquid has evaporated, about 4 minutes.
- Add the water chestnuts, garlic, ginger, green onions and red pepper flakes, if using. Cook about 1 minute.
- Pour the sauce over the mixture and stir. Cook until it begins to simmer, about 2 minutes. Serve with lettuce leaves.