Chai Pani’s Malabar Chicken Curry
Follow us on Google news for more updates and Recipe News
Cook’s Notes: I went to a small foreign market to collect some of the unique ingredients for this recipe. There, I had no trouble finding everything on my list. Extra curry leaves can be wrapped and frozen for later use. This is a GREAT make-ahead! Letting the curry sit overnight enhances the flavors!
2 pounds chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
1/2 cup vegetable oil+ 1 Tb
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
15 curry leaves, finely chopped
3 smalls dried red chiles (cayenne, bird)
4 cups chopped red onion (2 large onions)
2 tablespoons grated ginger
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 cup chopped cilantro (leaves and/or stems)
3 cups chopped tomatoes
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
1. Pour ½ cup oil in a large sauce pot over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, curry leaves, and red chiles.
2. Sauté for 1-2 minutes, then add the ginger and onions. Reduce the heat to medium-low and allow the onions to brown until they are dark and soft enough the smash with a spatula—about 25-30 minutes.
3. Add the chili powder, coriander, turmeric, and cilantro—mix together.
4. Raise the heat back to medium and add the tomatoes, salt, and lime juice. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes have disintegrated and the oil separates out—15-20 minutes.
5. Add ½ cup of water and 1 cup coconut milk. Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat.
6. In a separate skillet, heat 1 Tb. of oil over high. Add the chicken to the skillet and brown on all sides, leaving the centers pink—2-4 minutes.
7. Add the chicken to the curry and simmer 5-7 minutes until the chicken has cooked through. Serve over basmati rice.
PLEASE READ THE IMPORTANT DISCLOSURES BELOW.
This content is being provided to you for informational purposes only. The content has been prepared by third parties not affiliated with CWEB Inc, a business. This content and any information contained therein, does not constitute a recommendation by CWEB to buy, sell or hold any security, financial product or instrument referenced in the content. This information neither is, nor should be construed as an offer, or a solicitation of an offer, to buy or sell securities by CWEB Inc. CWEB Inc. does not offer or provide any opinion regarding the nature, potential, value, suitability or profitability of any particular investment or investment strategy, and you shall be fully responsible for any investment decisions you make, and such decisions will be based solely on your evaluation of your financial circumstances, investment objectives, risk tolerance, and liquidity needs.
Unless stated otherwise, the web content provided by the CWEB family of companies is for educational purposes only. The information and tools provided neither are, nor should be construed, as an offer, or a solicitation of an offer, to buy or sell securities by CWEB Inc. or its affiliates. Unless stated otherwise, no information presented constitutes a recommendation by CWEB Inc. or its affiliates to buy, sell or hold any security, financial product or instrument discussed therein or to engage in any specific investment strategy.