Chicken and Rice Stir-Fry with Fresh Orange, Dried Cherries, and Pecans
Follow us on Google news for more updates and Recipe News
This simple stir-fry of lean chicken breast and white rice is flavored with a sweet-and-sour, slightly spicy sauce. The fruit and pecans add extra flavor for a sweet, nutty finish.
Note: Sesame oil is not generally recommended for stir-frying because of its low smoke-point. In this dish, it is used to flavor the sauce and to quickly (20-30 seconds) fry the garlic and ginger. Peanut oil—with a high smoke-point—is used for the main stir-fry.
For the Sauce
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp ground chile paste (such as Sambal Oelek)
2 tbsp sesame oil, divided
1 tbsp cornstarch
2 tbsp water
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 1-inch piece of ginger, peeled and finely chopped
For the Chicken and Rice Stir-Fry
1 tbsp peanut oil
2/3 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized chunks
freshly ground black pepper
2 cups cooked white rice
1 naval orange, peel and pith removed, sections sliced in half crosswise
1/3 cup dried cherries
1/2 cup broken pecan pieces
cilantro leaves, for serving
1. Whisk the soy sauce, chicken broth, vinegar, sugar, chile paste, and 1 tablespoon of sesame oil in a small bowl and set aside.
2. Whisk the cornstarch and water in another small bowl until the cornstarch is completely dissolved. Set aside.
3. Heat a wok over medium-high heat and add the remaining 1 tablespoon of sesame oil. Add the garlic and ginger and stir-fry 20-30 seconds. Add the soy sauce mixture and simmer 3 minutes. (Reduce the heat if the mixture comes to a hard boil.)
4. Re-whisk the cornstarch mixture and add to the wok. Stir well until the sauce is slightly thickened, 1-2 minutes. Pour into a bowl and set aside. Do not wipe out the wok.
5. Add the peanut oil to the wok over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and add to the wok. Stir-fry until the chicken is just cooked through, 4-5 minutes.
6. Add the rice and stir-fry until hot throughout, about 1 minute.
7. Re-whisk the sauce and add to the wok. Simmer 1 minute.
8. To serve, divide the chicken mixture among 4 plates or shallow bowls. Top each with the orange slices, cherries, and pecans. Scatter cilantro over all and serve right away.
PLEASE READ THE IMPORTANT DISCLOSURES BELOW.
This content is being provided to you for informational purposes only. The content has been prepared by third parties not affiliated with CWEB Inc, a business. This content and any information contained therein, does not constitute a recommendation by CWEB to buy, sell or hold any security, financial product or instrument referenced in the content. This information neither is, nor should be construed as an offer, or a solicitation of an offer, to buy or sell securities by CWEB Inc. CWEB Inc. does not offer or provide any opinion regarding the nature, potential, value, suitability or profitability of any particular investment or investment strategy, and you shall be fully responsible for any investment decisions you make, and such decisions will be based solely on your evaluation of your financial circumstances, investment objectives, risk tolerance, and liquidity needs.
Unless stated otherwise, the web content provided by the CWEB family of companies is for educational purposes only. The information and tools provided neither are, nor should be construed, as an offer, or a solicitation of an offer, to buy or sell securities by CWEB Inc. or its affiliates. Unless stated otherwise, no information presented constitutes a recommendation by CWEB Inc. or its affiliates to buy, sell or hold any security, financial product or instrument discussed therein or to engage in any specific investment strategy.