Chicken Cacciatore is an easy, delicious family style recipe!
4 to 5 Pounds Chicken Pieces; I used thighs and drumsticks, but this recipe works just as well with breasts. If you use boneless breasts, simply cut the baking time in half.
1/4 Cup Olive Oil
1/2 Sweet Onion, peeled and cut into rings
8 Cloves Garlic, minced
1 28 Oz. Can Diced Tomatoes
1 6 Oz. Can Tomato Paste
1/2 Cup Dry Red Wine
1 Tsp. Cane Sugar
2 Tsp. Garlic Powder
2 Tsp. Black Pepper
3 Tbsp. Dried Oregano
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Rinse and dry chicken pieces.
3. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add chicken and sprinkle with half of the garlic, pepper and oregano as it browns in the hot oil. Brown both sides and transfer chicken to a 9″ x 13″ baking dish
4. Peel and cut the onion into 1/2″ slices. Mince the garlic (*here is an easy way to clean and mince garlic: cut the tips off of the garlic clove; place clove on a cutting board and smash with the flat side of a knife. Peel should come off easily).
5. Add sliced onion and garlic in the hot oil and saute for 3 to 4 minutes until lightly browned. With a slotted spoon, remove from pan and arrange over chicken.
6. In a large bowl combine the tomatoes, tomato paste, wine, sugar, and the rest of the garlic, pepper and oregano. Blend well with a whisk.
7. Pour over the chicken and vegetables
8. Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove foil and bake, uncovered, for another 40 minutes. (Cut baking time in half for boneless breasts.) Serves 6 to 8