Get all you want from a burrito and fajitas without the flour tortillas! Make this Chicken Fajita Burrito Bowl!
4 Boneless Chicken Breasts
1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 white onion
4 garlic cloves
1 1/2 cup pico de gallo
3 cups cooked brown basmati rice
1 ripe avocado
1 tablespoon of olive oil
fresh cilantro for garnish
Pico De Gallo:
6 roma tomatoes, diced
1/2 small red onion diced
1/2 jalapeno diced
1 teaspoon salt
juice from one lime
1 bunch of cilantro
hot sauce to taste
1. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Put on rice to cook.
3. Mix together 1 teaspoon of: cumin, chili powder, paprika, salt. Season both sides of the chicken with seasoning and bake in oven for 20-40 minutes, until chicken is fully cooked*
4. Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a deep saute pan and then add garlic and onions. Cook for 2-3 minutes until fragrant and then add peppers and add 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Cook on medium to high heat, stirring often for about 15 minutes.
5. Make pico by add tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, and cilantro to a bowl. Mix well. Add salt, and then squeeze lime juice over salt and mix again. Add hot sauce to taste.
6. When rice is done and peppers are cooked through, add rice to saute pan with peppers and onion. Turn heat down to medium. Then add 1/2 teaspoon of: cumin, paprika, and chili powder. Mix well. Add 1 1/2 cups of pico de gallo and mix well again. Taste and adjust seasonings to liking. Add hot sauce if it needs a bit more kick.
7. When chicken is done, slice (or chop dependent upon preference) and set aside.
8. Add rice and peppers to a bowl** and top with sliced or diced chicken and top with more pico and fresh avocado.
10. Size of the chicken breast will determine cook time. If ever unsure if chicken is cooked, test with meat thermometer- it should be at least 165 degrees.
11. Add shredded cheese or black beans or crushed tortilla chips or anything else you’d have in a burrito!