- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion (small), quartered
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Pita and your choice of toppings such as tzatziki sauce, sliced cucumbers, chopped tomatoes, hummus, olives
- In a small bowl, combine Spice Mixture ingredients. In a ziplock bag, combine 1 tbsp oil, chicken thighs and spice mixture. Mix to thoroughly coat chicken and refrigerate at least 30 minutes up to 24 hours.
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil to the Instant Pot. Using the display panel select the SAUTE function. Add the quartered onion to the marinade bag and toss to coat.
- When oil gets hot, transfer the chicken and onion to the pot and brown on 2 sides, 3-4 minutes per side. Meat will not be cooked through. Do not crowd the pot–you may have to work in batches. Transfer browned meat to a shallow dish and cover loosely with foil.
- Add broth to the pot and deglaze by using a wooden spoon to scrape the brown bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Put the meat back into the pot, turning once to coat.
- Turn the pot off by selecting CANCEL, then secure the lid, making sure the vent is closed.
- Using the display panel select the MANUAL function*. Use the +/- keys and program the Instant Pot for 5 minutes.
- When the time is up, let the pressure naturally release for 5 minutes, then quick-release the remaining pressure.
- Carefully remove the meat from the pot to a cutting board and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Serve chicken with warmed pita and your choice of toppings such as tzatziki sauce, sliced cucumbers, chopped tomatoes, hummus, olives.
*The MANUAL and PRESSURE COOK buttons are interchangeable.