Cod and Potato Oreganata
Follow us on Google news for more updates and Recipe News
Growing up in an Italian Catholic home, cod and potato oreganata was a popular dish on Friday nights when meat was not allowed. Funny but this recipe from my past has also become a favorite standby recipe in my own home, especially as the weather gets cooler. This simple recipe, which requires only a skillet and a few basic ingredients, has been known to solve that last minute supper conundrum. In fact, it frequently saved the the day when I would come in late from work dreading the idea of starting supper and all the cleanup afterwards. Steaming the fish and potatoes allows for rapid cooking but don’t associate this method with bland ‘hospital’ food. Using only a small amount of water, with the addition of extra virgin oil, savory breadcrumbs, garlic, chili flakes and oregano ensures that the fish and potatoes are infused with amazingly rich flavours. If you’re anything like my husband and like a bit of crispness to the potatoes, remove the cover a few minutes it’s finished cooking and allow the juices to reduce. In a pinch, frozen fish and store-bought Italian seasoned breadcrumbs work well in this recipe. The addition of onion and corn is my adaptation of mom’s original recipe. In under 30 minutes you will have dinner on the table with no ‘muss and no fuss’, and you don’t have to wait for Friday night to enjoy this dish!
5 pieces cod fish fillets
6 Yukon gold potatoes thinly sliced (about ¼”)
1/2 large sweet onion sliced
1/2 cup water
3 tablespoons extra virgin oil
2 cloves garlic
1 1/2 tablespoons oregano
1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
cup seasoned Italian breadcrumbs
salt and pepper
1. In a large non stick skillet, pour in 1/2 cup water and 3 tablespoons of extra virgin oil.
2. Place a layer of the Yukon gold potatoes and slices onions in the skillet.
3. Add 1/2 of the garlic slices on the potato/onion layer.
4. Spread the corn around the edges on top of the potatoes
5. Sprinkle 1/2 of the oregano, and 1/4 teaspoon of chili flakes on the potatoes/corn layer.
6. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Sprinkle a tablespoon or two of the breadcrumbs on top of the potatoes.
8. Place the cod pieces in the center of the layered vegetables.
9. Sprinkle the remainder of the seasoned breadcrumbs on the fish. Add the garlic slices
10. Sprinkle on the oregano, garlic slices, and remaining chili flakes. Season with salt and pepper.
11. Drizzle a generous amount of extra virgin olive oil over the fish.
12. Place a cover on the skillet and cook until done.
13. Cooking time will depend on the thickness of the fish and whether the fish used is fresh or frozen. Approximate cooking time 10-15 minutes.
PLEASE READ THE IMPORTANT DISCLOSURES BELOW.
This content is being provided to you for informational purposes only. The content has been prepared by third parties not affiliated with CWEB Inc, a business. This content and any information contained therein, does not constitute a recommendation by CWEB to buy, sell or hold any security, financial product or instrument referenced in the content. This information neither is, nor should be construed as an offer, or a solicitation of an offer, to buy or sell securities by CWEB Inc. CWEB Inc. does not offer or provide any opinion regarding the nature, potential, value, suitability or profitability of any particular investment or investment strategy, and you shall be fully responsible for any investment decisions you make, and such decisions will be based solely on your evaluation of your financial circumstances, investment objectives, risk tolerance, and liquidity needs.
Unless stated otherwise, the web content provided by the CWEB family of companies is for educational purposes only. The information and tools provided neither are, nor should be construed, as an offer, or a solicitation of an offer, to buy or sell securities by CWEB Inc. or its affiliates. Unless stated otherwise, no information presented constitutes a recommendation by CWEB Inc. or its affiliates to buy, sell or hold any security, financial product or instrument discussed therein or to engage in any specific investment strategy.