The best creamy vegan lentil curry recipe there is! This is an easy, cheap and healthy meal packed full of fiber and protein.
1 cup red lentils (dry)
15oz can Garbanzo beans
15oz can chopped or diced tomatoes
13.5oz can unsweetened coconut milk
1 sweet onion, sliced
2 celery sticks, chopped
1 carrot, sliced
3-8 mushrooms, sliced
5 cups spinach (dry)
2tsp hot curry powder (I recommend you buy this from Penzey’s – https://www.penzeys.com/online-catalog/hot-curry-powder/c-24/p-120/pd-s)
1tsp garlic powder OR two garlic cloves, chopped
3 cups vegetable or chicken broth OR 3 cups of water and 2 tsp bouillon (vegetable or chicken)
Salt to taste
1. Start by boiling your lentils to ensure they’re soft and not rock hard. Boil for 15-20 minutes until soft — be sure to salt the water and use a small amount of olive oil to prevent foaming. Use 3 cups of water for every 1 cup of lentils.
2. While the lentils are cooking,start by preparing your mire poix (onion, carrot and celery sticks) and slicing your mushrooms
3. Heat up a large pot with 1-2 tbsp of olive oil. Sprinkle some salt and pepper in the olive oil (trust me).
4. Once the olive oil is hot (give it a minute or two), add the sliced and chopped onion, carrot, celery and mushrooms. Also add your garlic clove if you’re using it OR your garlic powder.
5. Next, add in the spices (hot curry powder, cinnamon and cardamom). Cook until the vegetables have softened, 5-10 minutes approximately.
6. Once the vegetables have softened, add in the garbanzo beans, tomatoes and lentils. Either pour the water from boiling the lentils into the pot and add 2tsp of bouillon. OR get rid of the lentil water and use 3 cups of chicken or vegetable broth.
7. Cook for 5 minutes and then add in the coconut milk.
8. Cook for another 15 minutes and be sure to stir frequently. You want the water to reduce by more than half to give you a thick, creamy curry.
9. Turn off the heat on your stove and add in your 5 cups of spinach. Mix it into the curry and watch as the spinach cooks down to almost nothing haha. Be sure to salt your curry at this point to taste.
10. Serve with some cauliflower rice or whatever else tickles your fancy!