This is a fresh and light cake to enjoy with a good cup of coffee.
3 cups flour – sifted
5 tablespoons butter
2 cups shredded carrots
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
½ cup applesauce
1 tsp. vanilla
½ tsp. salt
1/3 cup milk
Zest of 1 lemon
Dashes of cinnamon
Dashes of nutmeg
Crumble for Top of Cake: (Optional)
4 – 5 sleeves of graham crackers
2 tablespoons of brown sugar
2 tablespoons of butter
1. Preheat Oven 350 degrees:
2. Butter a baking pan.
3. Cream the butter and sugars until very light and fluffy. Add the spices and grated lemon zest and continue to beat.
4. Add the eggs, one at a time while beating on low. Stir in the carrots and the applesauce.
5. Sift the dry ingredients. Add the vanilla to the milk and add to the dry ingredients. Add the flour mixture to the blender while the blender is on lowest speed.
6. Optional – Crumble Topping
7. In food process combine; the graham crackers, brown sugar and butter.
8. If using a bundt pan place topping at the bottom of pan, then turn batter into pan.
9. Bake 30-35 minutes or until cake springs back when pressed in the middle or toothpick test comes out clean.