*(c)2018 by Hsiao-Ching Chou. All rights reserved. Excerpted from Chinese Soul Food by permission of Sasquatch Books.
2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
1 large egg, beaten
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon plus 1½ teaspoons sweet bean sauce
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
1 tablespoon Shaoxing wine or dry Marsala wine
1 tablespoon soy sauce
6 mu shu pancakes (see note)
2 stalks green onions, roughly chopped
4 cups thinly sliced green cabbage, loosely packed
⅓ pound Chinese barbecued pork, julienned (about 1½ cup)
1 cup bean sprouts
¼ teaspoon sesame oil
⅛ teaspoon white pepper powder
3 teaspoons hoisin sauce, for serving
1. Preheat a wok over medium-high heat until wisps of smoke rise from the surface. Add 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil and heat until it starts to shimmer. Add the egg and scramble it, cooking until the curd is just set, about 1 to 2 minutes. Remove the wok from the heat, transfer the egg to a small bowl, and set aside.
2. In a small bowl or measuring cup, put the water, bean sauce, oyster sauce, wine, and soy sauce, and stir to combine. Set aside.
3. Set up your steamer to steam the pancakes. Steam the pancakes for 5 to 7 minutes, or until heated through and softened.
4. While the pancakes are steaming, heat the wok over high heat until wisps of smoke rise from the surface. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and the onions, and stir-fry for 10 to 15 seconds. Add the cabbage, pork, and bean sprouts, and stir to combine. Add the bean sauce mixture, using a spatula if needed to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Stir-fry the filling together for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the cabbage has softened. Add the sesame oil and pepper, and stir and toss again to combine. Remove the wok from the heat.
5. Spread ½ teaspoon hoisin sauce into the middle of each pancake. Add about ½ cup of the filling to each and roll the pancakes up like a burrito to serve.
6. NOTE: Mu shu pancakes are typically sold frozen. Let them defrost in the refrigerator overnight before steaming.
This content is being provided to you for informational purposes only. The content has been prepared by third parties not affiliated with CWEB Inc, a business. This content and any information contained therein, does not constitute a recommendation by CWEB to buy, sell or hold any security, financial product or instrument referenced in the content. This information neither is, nor should be construed as an offer, or a solicitation of an offer, to buy or sell securities by CWEB Inc. CWEB Inc. does not offer or provide any opinion regarding the nature, potential, value, suitability or profitability of any particular investment or investment strategy, and you shall be fully responsible for any investment decisions you make, and such decisions will be based solely on your evaluation of your financial circumstances, investment objectives, risk tolerance, and liquidity needs.
Unless stated otherwise, the web content provided by the CWEB family of companies is for educational purposes only. The information and tools provided neither are, nor should be construed, as an offer, or a solicitation of an offer, to buy or sell securities by CWEB Inc. or its affiliates. Unless stated otherwise, no information presented constitutes a recommendation by CWEB Inc. or its affiliates to buy, sell or hold any security, financial product or instrument discussed therein or to engage in any specific investment strategy.