New York Steaks with Mustard and Mushrooms
Follow us on Google news for more updates and Recipe News
Those gorgeous New York Steaks with Mustard and Mushrooms are a creative combination between two of my favorite recipes, pork steaks with mustard and pepper steak. As time passes by, each time I prepare either sauces, they each get a bit of a make over. This time I decided that it would be fun to combine them. The result was a perfectly balanced sauce to accompany the steak. The mushrooms where just perfect with a hint of sherry. With the mustard always use a Dijon, or a grainy Dijon, or a combination of both. Taste and if too strong in the tanginess side, add more cream to it to your liking.
2 16 ounces New York steaks cut in half – fat trimmed
1 1/2 tablespoon fleur de sel
2 teaspoons coarsely cracked black peppercorns
12 ounces cremini mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
2 tablespoons sherry
salt and pepper
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 large shallots thinly sliced
4 tablespoons whiskey, or cognac, or brandy
1 1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
2. Heat a large cast iron skillet over high heat for 5 to 8 minutes. Pat the steaks dry with paper towels.
3. Combine the fleur de sel and the cracked pepper on a small plate and roll the NY steaks top, sides and bottom in the seasoning. Press lightly to coat well. When the skillet is very hot, add the steaks and sear on all sides.
4. Transfer the steaks from the skillet to a cookie sheet pan and place in the hot oven for 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from the oven, cover the steak pan with aluminum foil and let rest for 10 minutes.
5. Meanwhile in the same skillet that you just cooked your steaks, without scraping, add the butter and melt over medium high heat. Add the mushrooms and sauté until all the moisture is released. Stir in the sherry and cook until the mushrooms are cooked thru and are golden brown but not chewy. Taste and season with salt and pepper if needed. Remove the mushrooms from the skillet and set aside covered to keep warm.
6. Do not wipe the skillet, add the olive oil and shallots. Cook over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add whiskey to deglaze the pan and cook until the whiskey evaporates and the shallots are tender. Stir in cream and simmer for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until thickened. Add the mustard to the cream, blending well. Taste for seasoning and add more cream if you wish for a milder sauce.
7. Place the steaks in the middle of the plate and spoon mustard sauce around the steaks and top with the mushrooms. Sprinkle with parsley.
PLEASE READ THE IMPORTANT DISCLOSURES BELOW.
This content is being provided to you for informational purposes only. The content has been prepared by third parties not affiliated with CWEB Inc, a business. This content and any information contained therein, does not constitute a recommendation by CWEB to buy, sell or hold any security, financial product or instrument referenced in the content. This information neither is, nor should be construed as an offer, or a solicitation of an offer, to buy or sell securities by CWEB Inc. CWEB Inc. does not offer or provide any opinion regarding the nature, potential, value, suitability or profitability of any particular investment or investment strategy, and you shall be fully responsible for any investment decisions you make, and such decisions will be based solely on your evaluation of your financial circumstances, investment objectives, risk tolerance, and liquidity needs.
Unless stated otherwise, the web content provided by the CWEB family of companies is for educational purposes only. The information and tools provided neither are, nor should be construed, as an offer, or a solicitation of an offer, to buy or sell securities by CWEB Inc. or its affiliates. Unless stated otherwise, no information presented constitutes a recommendation by CWEB Inc. or its affiliates to buy, sell or hold any security, financial product or instrument discussed therein or to engage in any specific investment strategy.