- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts 5 – 6 chicken breasts
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper or taco seasoning
- 1 medium red or white onion chopped
- 4 oz green chiles chopped or diced 1 can
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 15 oz pinto beans drained and rinsed 1 can
- 3 cups cooked brown rice (page 22 of THE HEALTHY MEAL PREP INSTANT POT® COOKBOOK)
- 2 medium avocados pitted and sliced, for garnish
- fresh chopped cilantro for garnish
- Sliced jalapeño for garnish
- prepared salsa for garnish (optional)
- Select Sauté and add the olive oil to the inner pot. Once the oil is hot, place the chicken breasts in the pot and brown them for 2 minutes per side.
- Press Cancel and add the cumin, cayenne pepper, onion, green chiles, and chicken broth. Using a wooden spoon, scrape up any browned bits stuck to the bottom of the pot.
- Lock the lid into place. Select Pressure Cook or Manual; set the pressure to High and the time to 15 minutes. Make sure the steam release knob is in the sealed position. After cooking, naturally release the pressure for 10 minutes, then quick release any remaining pressure.
- Unlock and remove the lid. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the chicken to a cutting board. Shred the chicken using two forks, and then add it back to the pot. Add the pinto beans and stir the ingredients to combine.
- Serve immediately, or place the chicken and rice in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 2 months.
- When ready to serve, divide the rice among six bowls and ladle the chicken mixture on top. Garnish each bowl with 2 slices of fresh avocado, cilantro, jalapeño, and a spoonful of salsa (if using).
ADVANCE PREP TIP: Prepare the rice ahead of time and warm it up before serving. MEAL PREP TIP: Slice the avocado right before serving to keep it from browning PER SERVING Calories: 423; Fat: 12g; Carbohydrates: 37g; Fiber: 8g; Protein: 43g; Sodium: 332mg