Tasty Delicious Quick Buffalo Chili
Follow us on Google news for more updates and Recipe News
This is a traditional Native American recipe is adapted from the Mitsitam Cafe
at the Smithsonian National Museum of the American Indian. This rich, flavorful chili is low in fat and serves a crowd. For a less spicy (and more kid-friendly) version, omit chipotle chiles and reduce chili powder to 1-2 tablespoons. Pairs well with sweet potato biscuits
, corn bread, or traditional fry bread.
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 1 hour 30 min
- Total: 1 hour 45 min
- Serves 10
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 chipotle chiles en adobe, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- In a medium bowl, combine onion, bell pepper, chiles, garlic, and spices. Stir to combine and set aside.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 pound ground buffalo
- In a Dutch oven or large stock pot, heat oil over medium heat until simmering. Sauté ground buffalo, breaking it up with a spoon, until browned.
- reserved onion-pepper mixture
- Add reserved onion-pepper mixture and sauté over medium heat until onion is translucent, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 15 ounces pinto beans, cooked or canned and rinsed
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 cup water
- Add diced tomatoes, pinto beans, tomato puree, beef stock, and water. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Add tomato paste and stir to combine. Simmer for 30 additional minutes.
- ½ cup masa harina flour
- salt and pepper, to taste
- While stirring, slowly add masa harina to thicken chili. If chili becomes too thick, add additional water or beef stock in 2 tablespoon increments. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer for 5 additional minutes and serve with sour cream and shredded cheese.
PLEASE READ THE IMPORTANT DISCLOSURES BELOW.
This content is being provided to you for informational purposes only. The content has been prepared by third parties not affiliated with CWEB Inc, a business. This content and any information contained therein, does not constitute a recommendation by CWEB to buy, sell or hold any security, financial product or instrument referenced in the content. This information neither is, nor should be construed as an offer, or a solicitation of an offer, to buy or sell securities by CWEB Inc. CWEB Inc. does not offer or provide any opinion regarding the nature, potential, value, suitability or profitability of any particular investment or investment strategy, and you shall be fully responsible for any investment decisions you make, and such decisions will be based solely on your evaluation of your financial circumstances, investment objectives, risk tolerance, and liquidity needs.
Unless stated otherwise, the web content provided by the CWEB family of companies is for educational purposes only. The information and tools provided neither are, nor should be construed, as an offer, or a solicitation of an offer, to buy or sell securities by CWEB Inc. or its affiliates. Unless stated otherwise, no information presented constitutes a recommendation by CWEB Inc. or its affiliates to buy, sell or hold any security, financial product or instrument discussed therein or to engage in any specific investment strategy.