New York University had teamed up with Facebook to dramatically reduce the time to capture magnetic resonance images. This is a breakthrough in medical imaging. This groundbreaking technology is definitely helpful for children that have to sit through a long period of time in order to get an MRI. It will make the experience to feel less invasive.
In other news
To accomplish a task like checking to see whether you locked the front door or retrieving a cell phone that’s ringing in an upstairs bedroom, AI assistants of the future must learn to plan their route, navigate effectively, look around their physical environment, listen to what’s happening around them, and build memories of the 3D space. These smarter assistants will require new advances in embodied AI, which seeks to teach machines to understand and interact with the complexities of the physical world as people do.
Today, we’re announcing several new milestones that introduce important capabilities to push the limits of embodied agents even further. This foundational research introduces state-of-the-art embodied agents that learn how to explore and understand more complex, realistic spaces from egocentric views or multimodal signals.
The first audio-visual platform for embodied AI.
With this new platform, researchers can train AI agents in 3D environments with highly realistic acoustics. This opens up an array of new embodied AI tasks, such as navigating to a sound-emitting target, learning from echolocation, or exploring with multimodal sensors. Adding sound not only yields faster training and more accurate navigation at inference, but also enables the agent to discover the goal on its own from afar. To facilitate future work in this new direction, we collaborated with Facebook Reality Labs to release. In other news release source; Facebook
You can read in depth publications about Facebooks technologies here at Facebook AI.
Second Quarter 2020 Operational and Other Financial Highlights
- Facebook monthly active users (MAUs) – MAUs were 2.70 billion as of June 30, 2020, an increase of 12% year-over-year.
- Family daily active people (DAP) – DAP was 2.47 billion on average for June 2020, an increase of 15% year-over-year.
- Family monthly active people (MAP) – MAP was 3.14 billion as of June 30, 2020, an increase of 14%-year over-year.
- Capital expenditures – Capital expenditures, including principal payments on finance leases, were $3.36 billion for the second quarter of 2020.
- Cash and cash equivalents and marketable securities – Cash and cash equivalents and marketable securities were $58.24 billion as of June 30, 2020. On July 7, 2020, we paid approximately $5.8 billion at the then current exchange rate for our investment in Jio Platforms Limited.
- Headcount – Headcount was 52,534 as of June 30, 2020, an increase of 32% year-over-year
Financial highlights Source