NFL Texans settle with 30 Deshaun Watson accusers


The attorney representing Deshaun Watson’s accusers says 30 women have reached confidential settlements with the Houston Texans.

“Today all of the women who have made, or intended to make, claims against the Houston Texans organization have resolved their claims,” attorney Tony Buzbee said in a statement on Friday. “The terms of the settlements, to include the amounts paid each, are confidential.

“I will have no further comment on the allegations or the Texans’ alleged role, other than to say that there is a marked contrast in the way in which the Texans addressed these allegations, and the way in which Watson’s team has done so.”

Watson, now with the Cleveland Browns, was sued by 24 women who accused him of sexual misconduct during massage sessions when he played for the Texans.

One of those women also sued the Texans, alleging the team had enabled Watson’s behavior. That lawsuit is now settled, according to Buzbee.

Watson, 26, announced his own settlements last month with 20 of the 24 women who filed civil lawsuits. Buzbee previously said the four pending cases remain active and on track for trial in 2023.

Watson repeatedly has denied any wrongdoing and has never been arrested or charged.

Watson is awaiting a decision from the NFL about a possible suspension for violating the league’s conduct policy.

Disciplinary officer Sue L. Robinson, a former U.S. District Court judge who was jointly selected to oversee the case by the NFL and the NFL Players Association, is expected to issue a ruling before the Browns report to training camp on July 26.

“We were shocked and deeply saddened when we first learned of the allegations against our then franchise quarterback in March 2021,” a statement from the Texans’ Janice McNair and Hannah and Cal McNair said Friday.

“Although our organization did not have any knowledge of Deshaun Watson’s alleged misconduct, we have intentionally chosen to resolve this matter amicably. This is not an admission of any wrongdoing, but instead a clear stand against any form of sexual assault and misconduct.

“We hope that today’s resolution will provide some form of closure to the parties involved, our fans and the Houston community at large.”

The Texans held Watson out of action for the entire 2021 season as he was under investigation for criminal wrongdoing. However, he was never indicted, and the Browns acquired him in a March trade, giving up three first-round draft picks.

Cleveland also signed the three-time Pro Bowl selection to a five-year contract that will pay him a guaranteed $230 million. However, Watson’s salary for 2022 reportedly is just $1 million to protect against the possibility that he could be facing a lengthy ban.

–Field Level Media


Follow us on Google news for more updates and News










Full Disclaimer








>

FREE

Get the most important news and analyses for Free.

Thank you for subscribing.

Something went wrong.