Connect with us


NHL News: Canadiens rally, edge Flyers in shootout

Cole Caufield scored the tying goal with three seconds left in regulation and Nick Suzuki scored the deciding goal in the second round of the shootout as the host Montreal Canadiens earned a 5-4 victory over the slumping Philadelphia Flyers on Saturday night.

Caufield scored two tying goals, getting a power-play tally late in the first before finishing off a wild sequence with the extra attacker in the final minute of regulation.

The Flyers had three chances to clear but after Zack McEwen broke his stick, Montreal held possession for the rest of the sequence. Moments after Brendan Gallagher’s tip-in sailed wide, Caufield also missed the net with seven seconds left but Suzuki retrieved the puck.

Suzuki quickly slid the puck to Caufield, who was alone in the left circle for a one-timer that sailed by goalie Carter Hart. Caufield’s dramatic goal came one minute after his slap shot sailed over the net.

In the first round of the shootout, Caufield was denied but Suzuki won it when he switched from his forehand and sent a backhander by Hart.

Christian Dvorak and Mike Matheson scored for Montreal, which avoided its second three-game losing streak this season after falling behind 2-0 in the opening 2:55.

Suzuki collected two assists and Caufield produced a three-point night.

Travis Sanheim scored 39 seconds into the first period and Owen Tippett scored twice before Kevin Hayes tallied midway through the third, but the Flyers dropped their sixth straight (0-5-1).

Montreal goalie Jake Allen made 25 saves and denied Tippett and Hayes in the shootout.

Hart finished with 28 stops.

Philadelphia sped out to a two-goal lead when Sanheim swept in a loose puck and Tippett blasted a wrister from above the circle.

Dvorak swept in a loose puck at 4:07 of the first and Caufield blasted a one-timer from the right faceoff dot during a power play late in the first.

Matheson gave Montreal a 3-2 lead midway through the second with a wrister from the slot but Tippett flicked a shot in from the right faceoff circle after winning a draw from Sean Monahan late in the second.

The Flyers seemingly had the game won when Hayes scored on a 55-foot wrist shot with 11:43 remaining.

–Field Level Media

More in Hockey



Get the most important news and analyses for Free.

Thank you for subscribing.

Something went wrong.