The director of the United Nations World Food Program has laid out a plan that would spend $6.6 million to tackle world hunger. This plan was formulated after Elon Musk, the CEO of Tesla said claimed in a post that he would fund a plan if the WFP would describe “exactly how” the plan would work. Will Elon Musk sell Tesla shares as he said he would is now the question to be answered.
David Beasley, the UN food program director, attached a link to a 1000-word executive summary, on Monday. The link tweeted by former Republican governor of South Carolina outlines the ways and means by which the UN would utilize $ 6.6 billion as meals and vouchers to feed millions. More than 40 million people across 43 countries are considered to be “on the brink of famine.”
In another tweet, Beasley wrote that the hunger crisis was “urgent, unprecedented, AND avoidable.” He tagged Elon Musk, who is the wealthiest person in the world according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index. He addressed Musk directly saying that he had “asked for a clear plan and open books. Here it is!”
Beasley also mentioned that they were “ready to talk with” Musk and anyone else who was “serious about saving lives.”
Last month, in an interview with CNN, Beasley asked billionaires to help combat world hunger, citing the top two billionaires in the world and America—Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos. He had said that giving $6 billion or 2 percent of Musk’s wealth could help combat world hunger.
Last month, Musk tweeted that he would “sell Tesla stock right now and do it” if the WFP could describe on his Twitter thread, “how $6B will solve world hunger.”
Elon Musk has not responded to the plan as of Wednesday. Musk has made other pledges and has committed some of his resources to charitable endeavors, of which about $50 million in 2018 has been documented according to a CNN report.
A spokesperson for Jeff Bezos, Angela Landers declined to comment, when asked for a response to the WFP proposal to end world hunger but pointed at other donations made by Bezos, of which $25 million was given for COVID relief in 2020 and has been documented, according to a CNN report.