Addy’s Hush Puppies
Follow us on Google news for more updates and Recipe News
Recipe Inspired by: Addy’s Cookbook – The American Girls Collection
Where did the hush puppy get its name?
One story is that men often took their dogs along when they went fishing. As the men fried the fish the caught, the dogs got hungry and started barking. To quiet them, the men fried cornmeal batter without any fish in it and fed it to the dogs, saying, “Hush, puppy!”
Quote from Addy’s Cookbook
1 small onion – chopped fine
1½ cups cornmeal
½ cup flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ tsp. salt
3//4 cup milk
Oil for frying
1. Place the cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt into a large mixing bowl and stir.
2. Crack the egg into a medium mixing bowl and beat it with a fork until it is well mixed.
3. Add the onion pieces and milk to the egg and mix well.
4. Stir the egg, milk, and onion pieces into the cornmeal and flour mixture.
5. Place about 2-3 inches of oil in a deep-fat fryer or skillet over medium-high heat.
6. When the oil is hot, carefully drop the batter into the pan. Use one heaping teaspoon of batter for each hush puppy. You may fry 5-6 hush puppies at once.
7. The hush puppies will sink into the hot oil. Then they will rise to the top. After 1-2 minutes, the hush puppies will be golden brown.
8. Use a slotted spoon to remove the hush puppies. Let them drain on paper towels.
PLEASE READ THE IMPORTANT DISCLOSURES BELOW.
This content is being provided to you for informational purposes only. The content has been prepared by third parties not affiliated with CWEB Inc, a business. This content and any information contained therein, does not constitute a recommendation by CWEB to buy, sell or hold any security, financial product or instrument referenced in the content. This information neither is, nor should be construed as an offer, or a solicitation of an offer, to buy or sell securities by CWEB Inc. CWEB Inc. does not offer or provide any opinion regarding the nature, potential, value, suitability or profitability of any particular investment or investment strategy, and you shall be fully responsible for any investment decisions you make, and such decisions will be based solely on your evaluation of your financial circumstances, investment objectives, risk tolerance, and liquidity needs.
Unless stated otherwise, the web content provided by the CWEB family of companies is for educational purposes only. The information and tools provided neither are, nor should be construed, as an offer, or a solicitation of an offer, to buy or sell securities by CWEB Inc. or its affiliates. Unless stated otherwise, no information presented constitutes a recommendation by CWEB Inc. or its affiliates to buy, sell or hold any security, financial product or instrument discussed therein or to engage in any specific investment strategy.