BBQ’d Portobello Sliders made up of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and healthy fats
Follow us on Google news for more updates and Recipe News
I’m not a meat eater. I haven’t been for years – make that about 15 years, but who’s counting?! Although I would eat chicken or turkey every now and again (until ~5 years ago), and I still eat fish, hamburgers have long been off my food rotation. Now veggie burgers, those are a different story. Too bad all my family and friends aren’t as convinced of their deliciousness as I am…
While I do try to influence others to eat a diet primarily made up of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and healthy fats, I am not one to scrutinize others or to hound on them for enjoying food that I personally shun. However, I am quite clever when it comes to “tricking” those around me into enjoying food that is extremely healthy and nutritious; slowly converting one veggie-anarchist at a time.
One of my latest feats – the Slider. Made up of Mini-Portobellos, this mushroom’s meaty texture not only enables it to stay juicy and tender when grilled, but allows it to perfectly soak up the flavors of marinades and rubs alike. This version of meaty-meatless burgers, paired with a BBQ rub, BBQ sauce, and grilled onions will convince even the manliest-man that eating vegetarian can be hearty and satisfying.
8 Baby Portobello Mushrooms, stems removed
1 ½ Tbs. Olive Oil, divided
2 Tbs. Not-S0-Classic BBQ Rub
2 medium Yellow, White, or Red Onions, thinly sliced
1 tsp. Herbes de Provence
½ cup prepared* Barbecue Sauce
½ cup Arugula
8 Mini Whole-wheat Dinner Rolls
1. Toss mushrooms in bowl with ½ Tbs. Olive Oil and the Not-So-Classic BBQ Rub. Stir to combine. Set aside.
2. Heat remaining 1 Tbs. oil in large skillet over medium heat.
3. Add onions and Herbes de Provence, and cook 30 minutes, or until caramelized, stirring occasionally.
4. Remove from heat, and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
5. When the onions have about 10 minutes to go, heat grill or grill topper over medium-high heat. Rub grate or grill topper with vegetable oil.
6. Place mushrooms stem-side down on grill.
7. Brush mushroom tops with barbecue sauce, and grill 3 to 4 minutes, or until soft and charred around the edges.
8. Flip, and grill 4 minutes more.
9. Meanwhile, warm buns (rolls) on grill. Spread barbecue sauce on bottom buns, then top each with 1 mushroom, sautéed onions, a small handful of arugula, and top bun.
10. Now watch as the meat lovers enjoy.
11. * If time is not an issue, I would suggest preparing your own BBQ sauce. Store-bought sauces often have corn-syrup, tons of sodium, and/or other less-than-pleasant additives in them. However, if you prefer to buy a bottle, please check the ingredients and at least make sure there is no corn-syrup in it. The taste is far superior and the health benefits are as well.
PLEASE READ THE IMPORTANT DISCLOSURES BELOW.
This content is being provided to you for informational purposes only. The content has been prepared by third parties not affiliated with CWEB Inc, a business. This content and any information contained therein, does not constitute a recommendation by CWEB to buy, sell or hold any security, financial product or instrument referenced in the content. This information neither is, nor should be construed as an offer, or a solicitation of an offer, to buy or sell securities by CWEB Inc. CWEB Inc. does not offer or provide any opinion regarding the nature, potential, value, suitability or profitability of any particular investment or investment strategy, and you shall be fully responsible for any investment decisions you make, and such decisions will be based solely on your evaluation of your financial circumstances, investment objectives, risk tolerance, and liquidity needs.
Unless stated otherwise, the web content provided by the CWEB family of companies is for educational purposes only. The information and tools provided neither are, nor should be construed, as an offer, or a solicitation of an offer, to buy or sell securities by CWEB Inc. or its affiliates. Unless stated otherwise, no information presented constitutes a recommendation by CWEB Inc. or its affiliates to buy, sell or hold any security, financial product or instrument discussed therein or to engage in any specific investment strategy.