My mother would make large pots of this bone-warming soup every winter and keep it frozen for the next times use.
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 large yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 stalks celery, diced
2 carrots, diced
1 leek, halved and sliced
1 pound stew beef chunks
4 cups beef stock
1 cup pearled barley
fresh cracked pepper
1/4 teaspoon dry chervil
1/2 teaspoon ea. dry thyme, dry marjoram
2 tablespoons fresh parsley
1. Heat olive oil in a pot over medium heat,
2. Add onions, garlic, leeks, and celery; saute for about 7 minutes.
3. Add in beef cubes, cook until outside of beef is brown.
4. Generously salt and pepper the pot, and add in dry spices, give it stir.
5. Add in stock, simmer 1hr.
6. Add in barley and carrots, simmer another 1 hour until barley is tender.
7. Taste and season how necessary, add in fresh parsley and serve.