Fried cauliflower is one of my favorite appetizers, but it MUST be served with gooey cheese sauce. You don’t have to be in a bar in Minnesota to get this awesome deep fried veggie. You can make it really easily, right at home.
12 large cauliflower florets
1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
pinch cayenne powder
2 large eggs beaten
1/2 cup milk
1 cup panko bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt Lawry’s or Johnny’s works great!
1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
1/4 cup all purpose flour
2. Simmer florets until they are fork tender, but will still hold together. Remove and rinse with cold water. Let florets dry, and then place in a large gallon baggie.
3. Mix 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and the pinch of cayenne powder together well. Toss into baggie and shake to coat the florets.
4. Beat together the egg and milk. Pour into the baggie and shake to coat.
5. Combine the panko, bread crumbs, seasoning salt, and 1/4 cup flour. Pour into the baggie and shake and combine by lightly moving the florets around in the baggie.
6. Fry in 1 1/2 – 2 inches of oil, heated over medium-high heat. The florets should cook in 3-4 minutes. Any more and the oil is not hot enough. Less and it is too hot.
7. Serve with ranch dressing or cheese sauce.