This is a great recipe for the warm weather. You can have a nice fresh piece of cake without the heat from the oven.
1 cup flour
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
4 tablespoons butter
1 cup milk – plus 1 tablespoon white vinegar
2/3 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup blueberries
Zest of ½ lemon
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1. Butter a 10 inch cast iron pan.
2. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Zest the lemon into the dry ingredients. In a larger bowl beat the butter and sugar until fluffy.
3. Add the egg, vanilla and lemon juice to the butter and sugar and beat.
4. On low speed beat the sour milk into the sugar mixture and slowly add the dry ingredients.
5. Add the brown sugar to the blueberries.
6. Place the batter in the prepared pan. Place the blueberries over the batter and gently press down and sprinkle with an extra tablespoon of sugar over the top.
7. On a low and gentle heat, cook covered on the stove-top until the toothpick test comes out clean.