In Kristi’s world, there is nothing better than steak with a really great salad. It’s true! Add horseradish sauce, and I’m in heaven!
Don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t have beef on a low calorie or low fat diet. Not the case. There are many cuts of beef that are very lean. My favorite is flank steak. When time permits, I marinade it overnight, and it comes out so tender and juicy.
Just add my garlicky Mediterranean salad, and you’re on your way to a terrific meal of just around 400 calories.
8 ounces flank steak
Your favorite grill seasoning
4 cups mixed salad greens
1 cup mushroom , sliced
2 large roma tomato, diced
10 mediums olives, sliced
1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup low fat feta, crumbled
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons fresh oregano, minced
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon lemon juice, fresh squeezed
pinch red pepper
salt and pepper to taste
1. Combine olive oil, balsamic vinegar, lemon zest, lemon juice, oregano, garlic and red pepper in a small bowl.
2. Add lettuce, feta, mushrooms, onion, tomato and olives in a salad bowl.
3. Toss salad with dressing.
4. Season flank steak with your favorite grill seasoning. I love Martha Stewart’s recipe.
5. Heat grill pan over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray. Add steak and cook 4 – 8 minutes per side, depending on how thick and your desired doneness. Let rest for 5 minutes or more before slicing.