A healthy Shanghai-style borscht recipe made with tomatoes, beef stew meat, and onion sauteed in a roux and slow cooked in beef bone broth. This beef borscht is the perfect comfort food on a chilly day.
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 medium onion, sliced
1 pound beef stew meat
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 cup carrots, chopped
1 large russet potato, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups beef bone broth
1 (6-oz) can tomato paste
1 (14.5-oz) can diced tomatoes
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 cups green cabbage, thinly sliced
chopped fresh basil for garnish
1. Make a roux by melting butter with olive oil over medium heat in a skillet. Once the butter is completely melted, decrease the heat to low, add flour; stir constantly until the mixture is blended and smooth.
2. Add onion into the roux; increase the heat to medium-high heat. Stir until the onion is well-coated and fragrant; transfer the mixture to the slow cooker.
3. Place all other ingredients except the cabbage in the slow cooker. Stir well, cover, and cook on low for 8 hours.
4. Add cabbage, switch slow cooker to high setting. Cook for an additional 30 minutes or until the cabbage is tender.
5. Taste and add more salt or sugar if desired. Dish, garnish with basil and serve with your favorite bread.