This dish is not only great to go with rice, the leftover especially the sauce is great to go with dry noodles for next day lunch. As I always say cooking is kind of an art, be adventurous to add in color to your dish, explore to use ingredients as you like to your taste.
For this recipe, other than sticking to the marinade sauce and chicken, you can have your own variation for the rest of the ingredients by adding veggie too. My version change very much depend on what in my fridge for that day.
3 pieces chicken thighs/drumsticks cut into pieces
6 button mushrooms (Recommend to use Chinese mushroom)
4 cloves of garlic crushed
Few slices of ginger
2 star anise,
1 cinnamon stick
150 milliliters of chicken broth/water
Few small pieces of rock sugar or sugar (to your taste)
1 tablespoon of corn flour diluted with water
1 tablespoon of Chinese cooking wine (ShaoXing)
3 tablespoons of light soy sauce
2 tablespoons of dark soy sauce
Dashes of pepper
1 teaspoon of sesame oil
Rinse eggs and boil eggs for 8 minutes. Take out and soak in cold OPTIONAL VEGGIE
1. Clean chicken and pat dry with kitchen towel. Marinate chicken for 15-20 minutes.
2. Clean button mushroom quartered, if Chinese Mushrooms is being used, pre- soak for at least an hour. Discard stalks and retain the soaking water.
3. Heat oil, add in garlic and ginger and fry until fragrant, add in star anise, cinnamon stick.
4. Add chicken along with marinade and stir fry for about 5 minutes, if Chinese mushroom is being used, add in and stir well. For easy cooked mushroom like button mushroom, keep until last 10 minutes only throw in.
5. If side veggie is being used like Potato, carrots, radish or tomato, add in and stir well.
6. Pour in water/chicken broth and soaking water from the mushroom (if any) and mix well, high heat boil for 5 minutes then reduce heat and add in hard boiled eggs.
7. Leave everything to simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
8. Thicken sauce with corn flour mixture and let it cook for another 5 minutes.