- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup raw white basmati rice plus 1 tbsp
- 1/2 cup frozen chopped onion or 1 small yellow or white onion; peeled and chopped
- 2 tsp stemmed and minced fresh sage leaves or 1 tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp stemmed fresh thyme leaves or 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1 1/2 lbs frozen mini or bite-sized turkey meatballs (a gluten-free version if that’s a concern), 1/2-1 ounce each
- 2 tbsp butter
- Press the button SAUTÉ and set it for HIGH, MORE, or CUSTOM 400°F. Set the timer for 10 minutes.
- Mix the broth, rice, onion, sage, thyme, and salt in an Instant Pot. Cook, stirring occasionally, until many wisps of steam rise from the liquid. Stir in the frozen meatballs, then turn off the SAUTÉ function. Set the butter in the mixture and lock the lid onto the pot.
- Option 1 Max Pressure Cooker
Press Pressure cook on Max pressure for 10 minutes with the Keep Warm setting off.
- Option 2 All Pressure Cookers
Press Poultry, Pressure cook or Manual and set for High pressure for 12 minutes with the Keep Warm setting off.
- Use the quick-release method to bring the pot’s pressure back to normal— but do not open the lid. Leave the pot undisturbed for 10 minutes after the pressure has been released. Unlatch the lid and open the cooker. Stir well before serving.
• For an 8-quart Instant Pot, you must increase all the ingredients by 50 percent.
• Swap out the herbs for any you prefer. We’ve skewed these to match the Italian flavoring in most meatballs. But if you’ve got plain meatballs, try a mix of dried thyme and dried dill, or even stemmed and minced fresh parsley and tarragon leaves.
• Cheese is a welcome garnish, particularly finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or another hard, aged cheese.
*Using a –20°F CHEST FREEZER?
There is no difference in cooking times.