Midwestern Pet Foods Inc. has expanded its voluntary recall of pet foods after 70 dogs have died due to ingestion of a mold that grows on corn as per the F.D.A.
In November, the company had recalled specific batches of pet foods for dogs after the F.D.A. had found that aflatoxin, a mold found on corn and other cereals, was above permissible level in some of its products.
At that period of time more than 28 dogs had died and eight had become ill after eating the recalled pet food.
Dogs suffering from aflatoxin poisoning have symptoms of sluggishness, vomiting, jaundice, diarrhea and loss of appetite.
Pet owners will not get affected by the toxin, but they are advised to maintain hygiene and wash their hands after they handle pet food.
On Monday, the company expanded its recall to include additional corn based dry and cat food products that would expire on or before July 9, 2022.
The FDA released a statement saying that it was issuing an advisory to inform the public about the possibility of potentially fatal levels of aflatoxins in Midwestern Food Products as these products may still be available online, on store shelves or in pet owner’s stocks at home.
Sportmix, Pro Pac Originals, Splash Sportstrail and Nunn Better are the brands of dry and cat food that are produced by the company in Oklahoma and distributed nationally online and in retail.
Retailers have been asked to contact the customers to whom they have sold the products, if possible. They have also been urged not to donate or sell the recalled products.
The company said that this is the first time that it has faced a recall in almost 100 years.
Follow us on Google news for more updates and News